If you are driving, stop in at the Fred Meyer shopping center in Tillamook to purchase your Annual In-State or 3-day Out-of-State “Oregon Shellfish License” for Sat, Sun, Mon (NOT for Friday) before continuing on to Rockaway. Note that: WE DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AND CANNOT DISTURB OUR BASE CAMP SITE PRIOR TO 4PM FRIDAY. So if you find our site before then, go sight seeing and do not approach the site. Another group will be using it until 4. After 4pm, come in to register for Native Shores. People will be arriving gradually between 4 and 7pm, including Dr. Kallas. If no one is there when you arrive (after 4pm) just verify the address and set up your camp or just wait and make friends with other participants until Dr. Kallas gets there to open the lodge. A multitude of set up responsibilities sometimes delays him.
If you are flying to Oregon make sure you know your Oregon travel plans prior to arriving. Any information below is subject to change. Call transportation venues early to make your plans. Here is a Portland map that takes you by highway from the Airport across town to Highway 26. Just follow the red line.
Renting a car is the easiest and most hassel free option. Contact us if you want to see if you can share rental costs with another person flying in. Sharing works out sometimes and can save you lots of money. You increase your chances of making sharing work if you flight arrives very early on the Friday.
Alternatively, we might be able to connect you with a local person who can give you a ride. The earlier you let us know of your interest in sharing, the better the chances that we will be able to connect you with someone. If you are driving, stop in at the Fred Meyer shopping center in Tillamook to purchase your 3-day Out-of-State “Oregon Shellfish License” for Sat, Sun, Mon (NOT for Friday) before continuing on to Rockaway. Note that: WE DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AND CANNOT DISTURB THE SITE PRIOR TO 4PM FRIDAY. So if you find our site before then, go sight seeing and do not approach the site. Another group will be using it until 4. After 4pm, come in to register for Native Shores.
If you are relying on public transportation, call the appropriate numbers below and determine all your connections before you get here. Buses and trains only run at certain times to certain locations. Routes and times may change, so do not depend on something someone told you from a prior Rendezvous. If you are going to depend on public transportation follow the directions below.
Public Transportation: From the Portland Airport to Portland to Tillamook to Rockaway for Native Shores:
Public transportation options are precarious at best, take a long time (6-8 hours instead of 2), and may change at any time so verify each step in the process below before paying for a flight. I do not recommend this unless there is no other option. If you miss the few options available, you may have to rent a car or miss much of the Rendezvous.
1) FLY INTO THE PORTLAND AIRPORT EITHER BEFORE 7AM OR 11AM.
2) Take the MAX Mass Transit Train to Portland (About $2 using the same ticket covers the whole trip from the Airport to the Greyhound Station. About 1hr 30 min includes a stop for licensing): Take the Max Train’s Red line from the Airport to the Gateway Transit Station. Visit Fred Meyer store’s Customer Service Desk to buy a 3-day Out-of-State “Oregon Shellfish License” for Sat, Sun, Mon (NOT for Friday). Get back on MAX’s Red Line, continuing towards downtown and take it to the Rose Quarter Stop. From the Rose Quarter transfer to Bus #77 (heading to west downtown), which will soon arrive at the Greyhound Bus Station (NW Gleason & 6th Ave).
3) Portland to Tillamook (About $10 one way): From the Greyhound Bus Station take the Tillamook County Bus (Not a Greyhound Bus) at either 10:30am or 3:10pm – the only times available. Arriving in Tillamook either 12:30pm or 5pm.
4) Tillamook to Rockaway (About $2 one way): Take the Tillamook County Bus North towards Manzanita at either 1:30pm, 3:30pm, or 5:30pm. This bus takes about 1/2 hour to get to Rockaway and does NOT run after 5:30pm.
5) WE DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AND CANNOT DISTURB THE SITE PRIOR TO 4PM FRIDAY. So, if you get into town before 4 pm stay in Rockaway and visit the Library and/or the Visitor Information Center and/or Lake Lytle until about 4pm, then walk North on the main road (Hwy 101) to our site at 882 N Miller St (Between 8th & 9th Ave). Miller St runs parallel to and just left (West) of the main road. If you arrive into Rockaway after 4pm, ask the bus driver to drop you off at North 9th Ave at the side of the road. Cross the street, then the RR Tracks, and find 882 N Miller.
Emergency Ambulance/Fire/Police: 911
General Transportation Numbers that Might be Helpful
(800) 231-2222 Portland Airport
(877) 739-4636 Portland International Airport
(503) 842-2413 Tillamook Airport: Oregon 97141
(214) 849-8966 National Greyhound Customer Service www.greyhound.com
(503) 243-2361 Portland Greyhound Customer Service / Ticket Office
(503) 238-7433 Max local transportation in Portland: www.tri-met.org or
(503) 842-8283 Portland To Rockaway Bus System: www.tillamookbus.com/route-schedules.html
(800) 551-6949 Oregon State Parks: 503-986-0707 www.oregonstateparks.org
(800) 452-5687 Camping Reservations
(800) 547-7842 “Where to Stay in Oregon” Guide
(800) 944-6196 Oregon Bed & Breakfast Guide
(800) 841-5448 Border to Border Bed & Breakfast Directory
Rockaway Beach, Oregon, 97136
(503) 355-2291 City Hall. 276 Highway 101 S,
(503) 355-2665 Library. 120 S Coral St.
(503) 355-9600 Community Center. 2310 Highway 101 N
(503) 355-8108 Visitor Information Center. Red Cabboose.
Tillamook, Oregon, 97141
(503) 842-4444 County Hospital: 1000 3rd St
(503) 842-7525 Chamber of Commerce:, www.tillamookchamber.org
(503) 842-4792 Library: 210 Ivy Ave. www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/Library/
(503) 815-1300 Tillamook Cheese Factory: 4175 Hwy 101 N,. www.tillamookcheese.com
(503) 842-8222×120 Outdoor Guided and Educational Tours: www.tbcc.cc.or.us/~water/
(503) 842-4553 Pioneer Museum: 2106 Second St. http://www.tcpm.org
(503) 842-1130 Tillamook Air Museum: 030 Hangar Rd. http://www.tillamookair.com
(541) 757-7236 Cape Meares National Wildlife Refuge
(800) 551-6949 Cape Meares Scenic Viewpoint. www.oregonstateparks.org/park_181.php
(503) 842-4981 Cape Lookout State Park: (800) 551-6949. www.oregonstateparks.org/park_186.php
(503) 228-9411 Chamber of Commerce, www.pdxchamber.org
(503) 275-8355 Portland Information Center , www.travelportland.com
(503) 872-2750 Northwest Outdoor Maps, Books, Guides, Resources, Directories www.naturenw.org/
(503) 228-4651 Powells Book Store
(503) 226-2811 Museum
(503) 988-5234 Library
Plan a trip to various parts of Portland using the Max: www.tri-met.org or 503-238-7433
Note that by using their web site or by calling Max, you can find transportation to most places in the greater Portland area within 20 to 50 minutes for around $2.50.